Odessa, Ukraine (PortSEurope) January 12, 2018 – The Ukrainian Sea Ports Authority (USPA) has started the process to update Strategy for the Development of Seaports of Ukraine for the period up to 2038.
An update is required because:
- completion of the short-term (until 2018) functioning and development of seaports;
- events connected with the annexation of the Crimea and the closure of five seaports;
- geopolitical conflict in eastern Ukraine;
- significant reorientation and loss of traffic flows, especially transit;
- bringing the norms of the updated Strategy to the main principles of the implementation of the National Transport Strategy by 2030 and a number of other reasons
Within the framework of the updated Strategies, the analysis of existing cargo flows, the status of seaports, their main advantages and disadvantages, as well as the forecast of cargo flows, in particular, based on the World Economic Outlook IMF reports, were analyzed.
The aim of the updated Strategy is to:
- definition of conceptual foundations for the development of the state policy of planning and development of the port industry, aimed at ensuring the needs of the country’s foreign trade in high-quality maritime transport;
- increasing the efficiency of the use of available capacities in seaports and the balanced development of new ones with sufficient capacity of ground infrastructure;
- improving service in seaports and ensuring optimal logistics of cargoes.
To achieve these goals, the following priority directions have been formed:
- Priority Area 1. Balanced development and efficient use of port facilities on an innovative basis;
- Priority Area 2. Providing competitive logistics and improving service in seaports.
- Priority Area 3. Optimization of the management system of the maritime ports sector.
One of the main tasks for USPA and the industry in the framework of the implementation of the new strategy will be the preparation of the general plan for the development of seaports, which will provide a clear definition of the ways of development of the industry, and especially sea ports, both in the sea part and ground (transshipment capacities , approaches, energy supply, etc.). This will provide the opportunity to develop a document that will reflect the overall picture of the development of the maritime complex.
Also, in addition to the updated strategy, expectations for the functioning and development of each seaport are formed.
Source: Ukrainian Government
Copyright (C) PortSEurope. All Rights Reserved. 2018.