skip to Main Content
Koper Port Attends Austrian Logistic Day

Koper port attends Austrian Logistic Day

Koper Port Attends Austrian Logistic DaySource: Luka Koper

Koper, Slovenia (PortSEurope) July 3, 2019 – Koper port (Luka Koper) was the only port represented at the 26th Austrian Logistic Day, held in Linz on June 27.

The event, organised by Verein Netzwerk Logistik (VNL), is attended by key logistics stakeholders of the logistics industry and focused on the challenges faced in logistics and supply chain due to bottlenecks of supply, individual requests by the buyers of logistics services and accelerated transformation of traditional business models due to digitalisation. The event attracted more than 800 participants and 50 exhibitors, including Koper port.

Luka Koper said that based on data published by Verkehr, the Austrian trade magazine specialised in logistics, the Koper port handled most of the Austrian overseas cargo for the ninth consecutive year. Namely, cargo handled for Austria in 2018 accounted for 6.85 million tonnes which was slightly below the level handled a year earlier.

On the second place was the Port of Antwerp, followed by the Port of Rotterdam. Austria still has 60% of its imports and exports handled by the Northern European ports, whereas the remaining 40% are handled by Adriatic and Black Sea ports.

There are daily railway services linking the port and Austrian distribution centres both for container freight and other goods such coal, iron ore, phosphates and fuel. A container freight connection with the distribution centre in Graz runs ten times a week whereas a container can be transported to Villach and Enns and from there to other Austrian industrial centres several times weekly.

The modal split between freight transported by road and rail for the Austrian market is substantially in favour of the rail transport (75%). The cargo handled for Austria is moved at all port’s terminal whilst timber, paper, coal, iron ore and various containerised goods – which amounted to 225,000 TEUs last year – are at the top of the cargo types. 

Source: Luka Koper

Copyright (C) PortSEurope. All Rights Reserved. 2019.

Back To Top